Syncing with Google is one of the options we offer to create or merge Dreamscape accounts, you can use this article to add students to your class or import whole classes
How do I Sync with Google?
There are two ways you can sync your Google Classroom:
Option A: Create a new Dreamscape class filled in with information and students from your Google Classroom.
Option B: Merge/create new Dreamscape accounts in a preexisting Dreamscape class.
Option A: Create a new class
If you would like to create a new class through your Google account, these are the steps:
- Select "Add Class" as highlighted in the screenshot below
- Select "Import from Google Classroom" as highlighted in the screenshot below
- After this, you will be given a selection of your google accounts. Select your Google account with the classes you wish to add.
- Afterwards, you will be given the option to select or deselect the checked boxes. As shown in the screenshot below in yellow, only select classes you wish to import! Whichever classes have checked boxes, they will be synced and added to your Dreamscape classes. In this example, I only want to import "Mr. Morin Grade 6 Literacy", so I will only check the box next to that class. Once your classes are selected, select "Import x class" highlighted in green. Also note, the name of your Google Classroom will be the same as your imported Dreamscape classroom name. For example, in this situation the Google Sync will create one class named "Mr. Morin Grade 6 Literacy" with my two students.
- This next step may take some time depending on how many student accounts/classes you decide to import. You will see a small notification on the bottom left corner of your screen notifying you your Google classroom is syncing. You will still have access to our website while your account is syncing. If this seems to be taking some time, you can still close the tab to let it continue syncing and you will receive an email when the sync is complete.
- Once your Google Classroom is synced you will receive a pop up as shown below and your class is all set up! Your students will be able to log into Dreamscape using our "Sign in with Google" option.
Option B: Merging with an existing class
If you would like to merge/add students with an existing class, these are the steps:
- Select the class you would like to merge/add with, then select "Students" on the left side bar, then select "Sync Google Classroom" as highlighted in the screenshot below.
- After this, you will be given a selection of your google account. Select the google account with the classes you wish to merge.
- After that, you will be given the option to select one class you wish to merge your existing class with, once selecting the proper class (in this example I selected "Mr. Morin Grade 4"), select the "Next" button as highlighted in green in the screenshot below.
- - If you do not have any students in your Dreamscape classroom you wish to merge with your Google Classroom, select "+ Import my students from Google Classroom to Dreamscape".
- If you do have students in your Dreamscape classroom you wish to merge with your Google Classroom, select "Merge my students in existing Dreamscape accounts". Select this option if your students have Dreamscape accounts and have made progress on their accounts before syncing, if you do not, it will create duplicate accounts for these students.
- If you selected "Import my students from Google Classroom to Dreamscape", you then need to select the specific students in your Google Classroom you would like to be added to your Dreamscape Classroom, selected by checked boxes. In this example below, I will be importing the student "Husena" at a Grade 4 level, and not importing the student "Anahit".
If you selected "Merge my students in existing Dreamscape accounts", you now need to select the specific accounts you wish to merge with existing Dreamscape accounts. For example, If the student Admin R. already has an account, and "Support Squiggle Park" does not, you would select the Dreamscape account Admin R owns (AdminR1) and you would select "Don't merge" for "Support Squiggle Park" and select "Confirm" in blue as shown in the screenshot below. This will not add "Support Squiggle Park" but will merge "Admin R" with the existing account.
Syncing Google Classes
If you see "Syncing Google Classes" in the bottom right corner of your screen, this means that you Google Sync is in process, this may take some time and the only solution is to wait for your classes to sync, this will happen on our back end so you do not need to leave your tab open. You can simply wait and you will receive an email to notify you when the sync is complete.
Google Classroom Permissions
When syncing your Google Classroom, you may be asked for the permissions shown in the screenshot below. We need these permissions from Google Classroom to import students into your Dreamscape classroom. We will not be changing or deleting any information in your Google Classroom. We simply require these permissions from Google to import your class.